Saturday, February 20, 2010

My love for Pop Music

One of the things that has been a constant in my tumultuous life has been music.
My sweet father has told me several stories about how even in infancy he would have to serenade his baby girl during feedings, naps and pretty much any time I was awake. He didn't share with me this lovely story until I was about 28.

It was like something finally clicked. I've been a lover of music all my life. Sometimes, more often before my dad told me this story, I never quite understood how I could love music so passionately but can't sing, write songs or even play an instrument.

My earliest memories of following a musician was when I was 6 years old and had been in Texas for 3 years. I remember quite vividly because I was in second grade (My dad made me start kindergarten when I was 4. Mainly because he didn't have a babysitter and we were seriously poor and could not afford daycare. Plus, when we check out the daycare, my dad thought I was way more advanced for just taking naps) and Mrs. Canterbury, my teacher, would let me massage her shoulders and brush her hair. She said I was a good little masseuse. Obviously, we were her first class ever...I am sure that wouldn't fly nowadays.

During our massage time, we would discuss lots of things: religion, music and how I needed to eat more at lunch.

When people find out I live and grew up in Texas they always assume that I am fan of country music. I try to say that I am not....but I realize that at 6 years old I loved Barbara Mandrell. I think she is known most recently for her role on "Sunset Beach" the canceled soap opera that was on NBC a few years ago.

For those of you born in the 80's you might not remember but she had her own primetime show with her sisters. Apparently, according to wikipedia and imdb it was cancelled in 1982.

I remember using one of those old boom boxes where you could tape songs off the radio....wow, did I just go way back or what? I would tape her songs off the tv so I could listen to them later when the shows or specials weren't on.

Technically.....she is classified as "country pop" so that makes me feel better. I do love some T-Swizzle songs...but don't enjoy her music "live". You probably wouldn't see me at a Taylor Swift concert.

It wasn't until two years later did I start my music collection. I went to Florida to visit our dear family friends, the Xayasones, and Kets introduced me to Tiffany, teased bangs, and aqua net hairspray. As we all know, if it were not for the success of Tiffany, NKOTB would not be raking in the dough on their 3rd year of their "reunion tour".

More musings later. Here's a video of my very first record I bought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826PTEuHKhE

Here's a newer version from the British girl band Girls Aloud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_CeBtQnjU

Eye candy for any male readers.

Peace out!

micks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marilyn Monroe

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."


Bruce Lee

Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.”

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.”